Peanuts and soybean/mungbean ranked fifth and sixth respectively in the prioritisation of value chains conducted at the commencement of the EI-ADO project. In consultation with the project Reference Group and based on similarity of production systems, the three crops were combined into a legumes value chain study. The soybean and peanut value chains were investigated in NTB and East Java, and mungbean in NTT. Districts were selected based on production, importance of the crop to rural households and the location of value chain actors.
The study identified market-based interventions that address the key constraints facing producers and other market actors in the three individual legume value chains.
- Develop capacity of Lead Firms to conduct producer training and extension activities.
- Support the Seed Control and Certification Agency (BPSB), Lead Firms and distributors to introduce improved/certified varieties of seed to producers.
- Build the capacity of Lead Firms to improve and expand their procurement from producers.
- Introduce new technologies to improve Lead Firm efficiencies (and their products / services provided to producers).
- Promote greater market access for Lead Firms (which in turn will purchase more from producers).
- Improve Lead Firm Quality Management Systems (allowing them to improve products and services to producers).